The IADI Secretariat is led by Eva Hüpkes, Secretary General.
Eva Hüpkes, Secretary General
Eva Hüpkes took up her position as Secretary General of the International Association of Deposit Insurers in August 2023. Working with IADI members, her priorities as Secretary General are to
- Strengthen IADI as a transparent, effective, member-driven and inclusive international policy-making body;
- Promote effective deposit insurance and resolution policies to help make financial systems safer around the world;
- Assist deposit insurers in responding to evolving financial conditions and bank business models, and the emerging risks and opportunities of digital transformation;
- Engage effectively with all stakeholders and safety net participants, including central banks, supervisors and resolution authorities, to promote consistent, coordinated and holistic policies that protect depositors and foster financial stability;
- Develop and advance IADI standards and guidance through comprehensive implementation monitoring, strategic partnerships and effective training and technical assistance.
Prior to joining IADI, Eva was Head of Regulatory and Supervisory Policy at the Financial Stability Board (FSB). She helped shape the FSB/G20 policy response to the 2008 Global Financial Crisis, including the FSB Framework for Reducing the Moral Hazard Risks of Systemically Important Financial Institutions and the FSB's global resolution standard for the banking, insurance, and financial market infrastructure sectors. More recently, her work at the FSB has focused on digital innovation and the regulation, supervision and oversight of crypto-assets.
From 1999 to 2009, Eva served as Head of Regulation at the Swiss Financial Market Supervisory Authority (FINMA) where she worked on broad range of legislative and regulatory initiative spanning banking and securities regulation, as well as anti-money laundering. She was Co-chair of the Basel Committee Working Group on Cross-border Bank Resolution that in 2009 developed, jointly with IADI, the first set of Core Principles of Effective Deposit Insurance Systems. From 1997 to 1999 she worked at the International Monetary Fund where she supported the Fund’s response to the Asian financial crisis.
Eva is a member of the New York Bar and studied law and international relations at the University of Passau, the University of Geneva, the Geneva Graduate Institute, Georgetown University, and the University of Bern, where she obtained her doctorate in law. She has published widely in academic journals and is a member of the International Monetary Law Committee of the International Law Association and a lecturer in international financial regulation at the University of Zurich. She was appointed as a member of the Expert Group on Banking Stability appointed by the Swiss Federal Council in 2023.