Announcing - Recruitment for IADI Secretary General
The International Association of Deposit Insurers (IADI or the Association), the global standard-setting body for deposit insurance systems, is seeking a results-oriented and experienced leader to fill the role of Secretary General (SG). Leading a team of experts, the SG is responsible for directing the operations of IADI and advancing deposit insurance international standard setting. The ideal candidate has the unique combination of significant expertise in shaping deposit insurance and financial stability policy, standards development, training, and operational management experience.
The IADI Secretariat is hosted by the Bank for International Settlements (BIS) in Basel, Switzerland. IADI invites candidates to submit their résumé and letter of interest NO LATER THAN 25 September 2022.
Candidates should submit their résumé and letter of interest as well as complete our online application form at Taleo:
All applications are treated confidentially. Please direct any questions to Deputy Secretary General Kim Peeters White at Kim.Peeterswhite@iadi.org.
Purpose of the job:
The Secretary General (SG) is accountable for directing the day- to-day management affairs of IADI according to IADI statutes, by- laws and policies. The SG is responsible for contributing to the development and implementation of the Association’s strategic goals and business plans and leads the development and implementation of the IADI Secretariat’s policy, research, technical assistance, and membership outreach. The SG ensures transparency, inclusiveness and accountability throughout the organization and provides regular reports to the EXCO and Chair of the EXCO on the activities of the Secretariat.
As the Chief Executive of IADI's Secretariat, the main responsibilities of the SG are to:
- Direct the day-to-day management of the Association, including financial management; development of the strategy and business plans, budgets, and annual report; and providing periodic reports on the financial condition of the Association to the EXCO and Annual General Meeting (AGM).
- Provide a key leadership role in the development and implementation of IADI policy, research, and technical assistance.
- Provide quality control and oversight of the wide range of IADI activities to ensure consistency and presentation of IADI operations in line with its mission and vision.
- Facilitate the work of the IADI Council and Regional Committees by providing support for their programs and outreach to IADI Members.
- Build and maintain strong relationships with EXCO, IADI membership, and external organizations such as the Bank for International Settlements (BIS), Financial Stability Board (FSB), International Monetary Fund (IMF), World Bank (WB), and other international safety-net organizations.
- Ensure the capability and capacity of IADI by creating and sustaining an organizational culture that encourages and rewards the highest standards of integrity and professional ethics, encourages staff to contribute to their maximum potential, and operates within a sound framework of managerial accountability.
- Attract, motivate, and retain talent while ensuring succession plans are in place.
Deposit Insurance Policy, Research, Training and Technical Assistance
- Represent IADI’s policy views as a spokesperson for the Association and oversee the Senior Policy and Research Advisor in their role in advancing policy and research efforts in the international fora by overseeing the enhancement of IADI’s database and ensuring IADI’s participation in the FSB subgroups, including the Resolution Steering Group (ReSG) and Cross- Border Crisis Management Group (CBCM), as well as other organizations that support financial stability and the advancement of effective deposit insurance systems.
- Oversee the Association’s Senior Training and Technical Assistance Advisor in supporting the Secretariat’s training and technical assistance activities through coordination of global and regional events, and ensure reports and guidance accurately reflect the Association’s policy views.
- Oversee IADI’s Senior Policy and Research Advisor in the development of positions on key issues affecting deposit insurance systems to advance IADI’s policy and research agenda in the international fora.
- Oversee the Association’s operations in accordance with the IADI business plan and budgets, ensuring a sound internal control environment and minimal risks.
- Oversee the IADI membership application process and ensure that a current register of all participants is maintained.
- Oversee human resource management in accordance with IADI and BIS policies and procedures to ensure the Secretariat staff have appropriate competency for their positions, access to training and effective performance management.
- Manage available resources efficiently and effectively, including keeping pace with advancements in technology (Association’s website, database and other IT capabilities).
- Ensure the establishment of an effective and continuous risk management system and implementation of risk remediation actions and the provision of an annual report to be submitted to EXCO.
- Undertake any other work or functions assigned by the EXCO.
- Oversee and direct the Secretariat’s preparation of the Association’s annual business plan, budget, and annual report for consideration and approval of the EXCO and AGM.
- Manage the financial assets of the Association to ensure that its investments are in line with the investment policy determined by the EXCO.
- Establish and maintain appropriate financial and budget controls according to IADI and BIS policies, procedures, and audit recommendations.
- Report the Association’s financial condition periodically to the Member Relations and Audit and Risk Council Committees, Treasurer, Chair, EXCO and AGM.
Executive Council and Annual General Meeting
- Develop and maintain a close and effective working relationship with the Chair and Vice Chair of the EXCO, keeping them well informed.
- Advise the EXCO on matters likely to have a material effect on IADI, working with the council members to evaluate and revise IADI’s short- and long-term direction and strategies and obtaining their guidance on significant matters related to IADI.
- Ensure that the Association’s official documents and records, including meeting minutes and reports, are prepared and maintained and that the required reviews of the Association’s statutes and by-laws are conducted.
- Prepare agendas, meetings, and logistical arrangements for EXCO and AGM.
Affiliate Support and Liaison
- Build and maintain effective working relationships with the BIS and other international institutions and safety-net organizations to exchange information in such a manner to advance IADI’s role as the standard-setting body and evaluator for effective deposit insurance systems.
- Advance deposit insurance issues by representing IADI at meetings and conferences with financial regulatory institutions, central banks, and other international organizations such as the International Monetary Fund, Organization of Economic Co- operation and Development (OECD), European Banking Authority (EBA), European Commission (EC), and World Bank.
- Graduate degree, preferably in business, economics, international relations, public administration, law, finance, or accounting, or equivalent work experience in these areas.
- At least 10 years of experience, including an increasing level of managerial responsibilities, preferably within the financial industry such as a deposit insurance organization, financial regulatory institution, international financial institutions, central bank, Ministry of Finance, or private sector organization.
- Experience integrating and coordinating diverse management areas with a record of achievement in teamwork and administration.
- High level of clear, conceptual, and innovative thinking, together with substantial knowledge and understanding of the global financial system safety net.
- Demonstrated ability to undertake strategic and business planning and execute the Secretariat’s role in accomplishing its objectives and ensuring that IADI has the capacity to fulfill its objectives within the framework of its statutes, by-laws, policies, and budget constraints.
- Proven ability to develop and operate sound corporate governance practices in order to lead an international association’s activities.
- Ability to develop strategies and action plans to focus the attention of the governance body on critical issues facing the organization.
- Demonstrated ability in establishing effective working relationships with stakeholders, including international stakeholders, to be able to negotiate recommendations and actions that are reasonable and prudent.
- Ability to develop financial plans and establish, monitor, and evaluate the Association’s financial conditions and appropriately report those conditions to the Association.
- Demonstrated ability to lead and manage multicultural and multifunctional teams.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively with a wide and diverse international membership body, both orally and in writing (strong English-speaking abilities). A second language is an advantage.
The position is a full-time position based in Basel, with the possibility of extensive travel. Attractive employment conditions will be offered.
- The BIS employs IADI staff on fixed-term contracts, with an initial term of four years. The IADI and BIS are fully committed to equal opportunity employment and strive for diversity among its staff. The IADI anticipates the selected candidate will begin employment by early 2023.
Candidates should submit their résumé and letter of interest as well as complete our online application form via Taleo at the following link:
Applications close at 11.59pm on 25 September 2022.